We cannot stop the winter or the summer from coming. We cannot stop the spring or make them other than they are. They are gifts from the universe that we cannot refuse. But we can choose what we will contribute to life when each arrives. Temperature is rising and heat quenching which is affecting stamina and energy levels. Water loss due to increased perspiration and temperatures affect health. Proper nutrition and health care is very important to avoid health issues. One can try these refreshing foods to keep up the energy levels and stamina:
- Gooseberry (Amla): Amla is used since many years in India. It is rich source of vitamin C. Rising temperature increases pulse rate, general discomfort and loss of stamina. Studies suggest that increased consumption of vitamin c helps in adjusting with heat. Amla can be consumed in candy form, syrup, sharbat, beverage, juice etc.
- Apricot: Power house of iron, vitamin C, potassium and iron. Apricot helps in dealing with skin problems caused during summer season.
- Cardamom (Elaichi) : Indian spice used in many preparations helps in cooling down the heat effect. Elaichi used in tea may help in relieving heat.
- Melons: watermelon contains 90% water which helps in hydration. Regular consumption of watermelon is very important. Rich in iron, potassium, beta carotene helps in kidney stones and urine infections. It can also be drunk as juice.
- Coconut water: natural water offering hydration in summer time is must have. One can go for one glass of coconut water per day to maintain good health. It is rich source of potassium.
- Mint: Addition of mint leaves to buttermilk, lemon water aids its taste and cooling effect.
- Water: Water is a very important nutrient in our diet. One must replenish water loss with ample supply of fresh water. Hydration is very important. Drinking 2-3 lit water per day is advisable for good health. Make your right choice to beat the heat this summer! Staying away from bottled beverages and aerated soft drinks will help in maintaining good health.
There are ways you can beat the heat and stay cool without sacrificing your sanity. Don’t let the heat stop you:
- Drink a lot of water, nimbu paani, buttermilk, coconut water.
- Eat more cooling foods like cucumbers,watermelons,oranges.
- Eat a lot of onions to prevent sun strokes.
- Add mint to curd for refreshing taste.
- Stay hydrated with cool drinks.